Oh, and as predicted, the FIA’s World
Motorsport Council didn’t do anything to Ferrari today when it held a hearing
The Council decided that the $100,000 fine levied by the stewards at the time was appropriate - and sufficient.
The fact that the whole world heard the radio transmission that told Felipe Massa to pull over and let Fernando Alonso past, contrary to a rule that forbids team orders influencing the finish of a race, apparently was of no consequence.
The decision not to add a team next year was a blow to our own Jacques Villeneuve, who – in his seemingly never-ending quest to get back into an F1 cockpit – had teamed up with Italy’s Durango Racing, which has been an entrant previously in several of the lesser formulae, to go F1 racing.
Although plans for the team were “still
in their infancy” (no kidding – the
As the FIA had heard that previously from USF1, it decided to take a pass.
Earlier, Villeneuve had tried for a spot in F1 with Stefan GP, the Serbian team that also was rejected by the FIA. Late in the day Tuesday, he issued a statement indicating he now would try to take over an existing F1 team. Virgin, perhaps?
But considering the difficulties seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher has encountered this year trying to make a comeback as a driver, and counting up the large number of well-meaning and ambitious people who've jumped into F1 ownership with enthusiasm, only to lose their shirts, Jacques would be better off to concentrate on trying to get back into NASCAR full-time, maybe even as an owner-driver.
Every time he's raced in NASCAR this year, whether it was in Nationwide or the Sprint Cup, he’s been competitive, which is something he would not be in F1. And I just have a feeling he'd do better in the long run with the stock car crowd than he ever would trying to be a member of the pirhana club.
Meantime, in Paris, both Bernie Ecclestone and Jean Todt attended the World Council meeting (after both said that they wouldn’t) in which Ferrari escaped further sanction.
Ecclestone said a press release would be issued explaining the decision but indications are that the team orders rule will be scrapped.
Which makes sense: if the world body that governs motorsport won’t enforce its own rule, why have one?