The NASCAR Nationwide Series race in Montreal is back on for 2012 and it will be held, as usual, in August.
It will be the only Canadian race. There had been speculation that the Nationwide race might either leave Montreal or an additional Canadian race added to the schedule after Mosport International Raceway changed hands last June and improvements to the circuit were started.
François Dumontier, president of Octane Management, said today (Wednesday) that his company, which also promotes the Grand Prix of Canada, will become the new promoter of the NAPA Auto Parts 200, presented by Dodge, on Aug. 17-18 at Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve.
Between 2009 and this past August, Octane acted as the delegated promoter of the event under the auspices of Stock-Car Montreal. With SCM no longer involved (having failed to secure provincial government funding to cover an operating deficit), Octane is taking over.
In order to stage the race, Octane had to make a deal with La Société du parc Jean-Drapeau for the rental of Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve.
“As president of the Board of Administration of La Société du parc Jean-Drapeau, I have spent a lot of time and energy to ensure the presentation of a NASCAR race in Montréal for 2012,” said Normand Legault, who has promoted races in Quebec for years.
“I am very happy that today's announcement guarantees the coming of a second international motorsports event on Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve."
The Nationwide schedule was nearly a month late being posted. When Jayski, a NASCAR Internet site operated by ESPN, “released” a speculative Nationwide schedule in September, it had the Montreal race taking place in October.