|A girl's best friend.|
How do you know when it's time for your beloved dog to go? How do you know?
UPDATE (22/8 @ 12:58 a.m.): Thank you so much for your comments and emails.
I spent the last four hours at the Veterininary Emergency Clinic and left Sydney (who is a girl!) there. It was the best thing to do. She is in tremendous pain, unable to walk, stand or even turn her head. She does not appear to be a good candidate for surgery. They'll run some tests, do x-rays, put her on major painkillers via IV and bring in the neurologist in the morning. But it doesn't look good.
It doesn't look good.
I think nature will make the decision for me.
UPDATE (22/8 @ 10:30 a.m.): Just talked with Dr. John Reeve-Newson at the Animal Clinic, Syd's regular vet. (Both he and Dr. Clifford Mardinger, also at the Clinic, were available to us last night from their homes.) We're waiting to hear from Dr. Sue Cochrane, Syd's neurologist. (Yes, she has a neurologist.) But Dr. John wasn't very encouraging, and I didn't expect him to be.
I won't do anything invasive. I just hope I make a decision I can live with.
I've been at these crossroads before, and had planned for this one long ago. But the deal was always to have her here at home with me when it happened. This does not look like it's going to happen. She's in too much pain to be moved.
I am going to take a long walk now. More posts, about other matters in a little while.
Depends on what happens.
Thank you for your comments and private emails.