So this post might come a day too late, as its an absolutely gorgeous day in Toronto, but I came up with a list of all the reasons why I love the rain, in the midst of the grumbling and lamenting following several weeks of damp and wet weather here in the GTA:
1. Cleaner air - Have you noticed how few smog days we're getting this year? A godsend for those with asthma and respiratory problems.
2. Cooler weather - I'm not a big fan of the hot, sticky, melting kind of weather - and lucky for most people, we're also free of stories this summer of the usual heat strokes, dehydration, and babies and pets left in dangerously heated cars.
3. No sunburns - Though I've never been one to be prone to sunburns, many of my friends with lighter complexions can enjoy their days without slabbering themselves with oily products in fear of blotchy, peeling, sensitive skin later.
4. Energy savings - You can almost hear the powergrids going into overtime and potential blackouts when people blast their air conditioning on 30+ degree weather...
5. No need to water the garden - Mother nature has taken care of it! And the roadways are cleared of the usual municipal signs warning us to stay away from watering our lawns.
6. No line-ups at Wonderland - Yesterday I spent a glorious day at Canada's Wonderland free of lines, and was able to ride several roller coasters multiple times, all because the forecast called for thunderstorms. But lucky us, we were spared of the thunderstorms and much rain, and ended up having a great time in an empty park.
7. Reconnecting with nature - Instead of the smell of hot pavement and exhaust fumes, the rain brings out the best in nature: rainbows after the storm, snails, worms and slugs out and about, and the smell of fresh earth, grass and plants.
8. Comforting nights-in - Rainy days are always the best for warm teas, a good book, baking cookies or watching a rented DVD with friends
So rain really isn't that bad, maybe the weather forecasters can mention this everytime they apologize to viewers for predicting rain?