Time to wrap it up around here, but not before a quick tour through the usual precincts.
One last read. Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci polled 22 baseball cogniscenti to come up with the 25 all-time all-stars. And get this - Alex Rodriguez is on it.
One last e-mail. Regular reader John Richardson went down east last weekend to visit with his son Elliott who studies at Acadia and plays for the Axemen. Here's his list of "Ten things I learned from spending a weekend at Acadia with my son and his football teammates":
1) Mount Allison beating SFX on Saturday for their first victory in four years is up near the top of the "most humiliating moments in sports" category -particularly if you have friends who play for the X-men. You can never bring that game up too often.
2) Spending $45.00 on fresh pasta is just about right for preparing the Friday night carbs dinner for 10 football players.
3) Why buy two steaks when you can buy four?
4) Real football fans know the college of every single NFL player.
5) You can buy Alexander Keith's LITE in Nova Scotia.
6) Multitasking involves: watching the NFL network; having your laptop open at all times for MSN Messenger: taking turns playing tunes from your computer; and surreptiously googling answers for #4.
7) Saturday night starts at 11:30 p.m.
8) Sunday morning starts at 11:30 a.m.
9) Never ask a university student, "Do you want some money for that?"
10) It's perfectly OK to clean dishes from the Friday night pasta meal on Sunday evening.
One last quote. "Defence is the toughest job in the world" - Hal Gill (thanks to another regular, Carla, for this one. As she noted, "somebody has only a tenuous grip on reality.")
Sports around town. Rah-rah on the ice all around the town: U of T's men's hockey team opens its OUA season with a pair of home games, against Laurier tonight (7:30 p.m.) and Guelph on Saturday (7:30 p.m.), while the women's team faces Waterloo Sunday at 5 p.m. - all U of T games at Varsity Arena. York women's home opener goes Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Ice Gardens. And oh yes, speaking of rah-rah around the town, it's the Toronto Marathon on Sunday, 9 a.m. start (8:30 a.m. for the half). If you're running, good luck on the BQ or whatever your goal is. And if not, give 'em a hand.
Watching. A's at Tigers, Friday, 4 p.m., Sportsnet. It's 5C with a 50 km/h wind right now in Detroit. That's why they call it the Summer Game.
Pooch punts. In which the official dog of JABS, Jinks the Vizsla, makes five kibble-or-cookie NFL picks that are just as bad as the ones you'll find pretty much anywhere else:
Cincinnati (-6) over TAMPA BAY. He barked on this one, and it sounded a whole lot like "Gradkowski!" Best bet, I guess.
Buffalo (-1) over DETROIT. After last weekend, how could anyone invest even a kibble on the Lions?
Seattle at St. Louis UNDER 44 1/2. I've been trying to figure out what he meant by grabbing the cookie and rolling over. It had to be either the Lions or the under, and one's already taken.
Giants at Falcons OVER 41 1/2. Got up on his hind legs. I get it.
Kansas City (+6 1/2) over PITTSBURGH. Not the kind of pick I'd make, but he's my dawg.