Tonight, Michael Ignatieff's Liberal leadership campaign is trying something a little ambitious by way of fundraising. Supporters are holding 100 fundraisers around the country, all organized around exotic/creative dinner themes. Ignatieff himself will be attending two in Toronto -- an Indian-themed dinner on the Danforth and a beer garden in the Annex. Here are some of the other events planned, according to the Ignatieff team's news release:
- John and Brenda Lewson from Etobicoke-Lakeshore will be sipping exotic Ceres fruit juices at their South African style barbeque, featuring authentic cuisine, beverages and activities;
- Nancy Coldham will be hosting a Da Vinci Code theme night in Markham, Ontario with women community leaders “de-coding” the qualities they want in a leader;
- Bob and Darlene Daudlin from Tilbury, Ontario, will take their guests sailing and treat them to a beachside barbeque;
- Calgarian Joan Bourassa is getting into the Stampede spirit by hosting a “Triple B”-beans, barbeque, and beer-in her backyard with charades, trivial pursuit, water sports and even a silent auction;
- Pablo Rodriguez, Quebec campaign chair, is having an Argentinian barbecue inspired by the true asados from the Pampas region.
- In Maria on the Baie des Chaleurs, former Liberal candidate Mario Lévesque’s guests will be enjoying lobster and scallops from the Baie and smoked salmon from Percé;
- The Hon. Stephen Owen, BC campaign co-chair, is hosting a dinner in Vancouver with friends and family;
- Keith White is hosting an outdoor barbecue at the Northbank Lodge in Pippy Park, Newfoundland;
- The Honourable Geoff Regan is holding a political gamesmanship night with such crowd-pleasers as `Famous Michaels in History’ and “The Stephen Harper Flip-Flop” in Bedford NS.