A breakdown on a broken down Olympic photographer by the numbers.
Steve Russell - Staff Photographer - @RussellPhotos
Here is a breakdown on a broken down Olympic Photographer and his daily, as the Brits call it here, kit.
1. HEAD - Full of picture ideas and dream as well as contempt for anyone who blocks a shot, and cloudy from lack of sleep. It is capped with a COC give away that proves invaluable whenever a Canadian athlete wins a medal!
2- T-SHIRT - The Star Games shirt it reads "Keep Calm and File Fast" and contains a tribute to Randy Starkman, the late Star Olympic writer.
3. ACCREDITATION - The most import piece if kit. For photographers it contains two pieces, the laminated card and the photo vest. See 10.
4. CHESTVEST - A kind of camera bag that you can sling over a shoulder or wear out in front too. The later causes loads of belly sweat. It contains batteries, 300mm, 14mm, 17-35, food.
5. SORE BACK - My sciatica is in full force!
6. CANON 1DX + 70-200 - Some days it is my widest lens used.
7. SHORTS - Lots of deep pockets, carries cards room keys and train passes.
8. SORE KNEE - Two days in my knee started to hurt, super painful, in a place that I had injured it previously during the G20 riots. Turns out I was just sitting strangely all the time in photo positions. Bottom row of swimming had an 8 inch space for feet. I'l size 12! Some gentle barrier nudging cured it.
9. SORE FEET - We walk a lot, everything is a hike and carrying all the kit does help. Blisters and falling toe nails are the norm.
10. PHOTO VEST - Because we look so good in them!, The photo vest is the second part of the photographer's accreditation. It has to be worn. Lose it and your Olympics is over. Near the end of the games everyone's vest gets very funky!
It has 14 pockets, so whenever you look for something, you find it in the 14th pocket you look in. Two front lower pockets are great for dropping a lens in when you have to make a switch. I keep my internet stick in in a berate pocket and my phone in the other. I keep my change in a pocket that zips. Anything else that might set off the metal detectors is also kept in the vest. The vest, like the Olympic accreditation, only comes off in the hotel room at night and to go through the x-ray machines.
11. THE ROLLIE - Carries a third camera body, remote gear, rain gear and a couple extra lenses.
12. CANON 1DX + 500mm - The work horse, I'd say about 75 percent of the 70,000 frames shot to date are done with these two buddies!
13. THE BACKPACK - Contains laptop, hood for those cold days, battery charger and other odds and ends.
Now for some pix,