Peter Donolo, chief of staff to Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff, sent this note out today:
Dear Liberal Colleagues,
As we still struggle with the sudden loss of our friend Mario Laguë, we must move forward to pay tribute and honour his life and to ensure that the great adventure that Mario was so dedicated to carries on.
To that end, I want to let you know that:
· Visitation will take place in Montreal at the Centre funeraire Côte-des-Neiges, 4525 Chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges (514-342-8000) on Sunday, August 15, 2010, from 2-5 p.m. All of Mario’s many friends are welcome.
· A public memorial and reception, will take place on Monday, August 16, 2010, at 11 a.m. at the Centre funeraire Côte-des-Neiges, followed by a private burial.
· The OLO will be closed on Monday out of respect for Mario and so that his colleagues can attend the memorial in Montreal.
· Mario’s friends and colleagues in Ottawa will also organize a celebration of his life to take place on Parliament Hill, early on when Parliament returns next month. Once the date and time have been established, we’ll let you know.
· The Liberal Express will take an early week hiatus both to honour Mario, and to ensure that Michael Ignatieff has the chance to pay his respects in Montreal. After that, the Liberal Express will get rolling again.
· I have asked Leslie Church, OLO Director of Issues Management to take on the responsibilities of Director of Communications on an interim basis.
· Life stories and tributes to Mario can be shared online at www.liberal.ca and in lieu of flowers the family has asked that memorial donations be made to a cancer foundation or cancer research facility of your choice.
As our Leader said, Mario’s loss leaves us all with “a hole in our hearts.” But we must carry on. Nobody would have understood that more completely and embraced the challenge more heartily than Mario himself.