Justin Trudeau Creativity Challenge
Now that an official announcement is imminent on Justin Trudeau's leadership intentions, the new challenge for the commentariat is to say something about him that hasn't been discussed to death already.
Here, as a service to those looking for a new angle, are the top 12 already-shopworn talking points on Trudeau, the prospective candidate.1. Does he have what it takes?
2. Is he his Dad's son or his Mom's son?
3. Nice hair.
4. He won a boxing match once, against a senator. Cue the "lightweight/heavyweight" headlines.
5. He was born on Christmas Day. But that doesn't make him a Messiah.
6. He's 40. We used to call that "approaching middle age." But in politics, we call that "appealing to youth."
7. He's running against the mother of his half-sister. Politics as Coronation Street.
8. Yes, there must be a way to have fun with "Justin" and "Just Society," but no one has figured out how to do that cleverly. Move on.
9. Why can't Sacha, the other brother, be the one who entered politics? (Because there are enough members of the Trudeau extended family in this race. See point 7.)
10. The Liberals don't need another coronation. But they can't stop themselves.
11. The Conservatives are dying to run negative ads against Justin.
12. Has anyone mentioned his hair? Or the boxing match? Or the lightweight thing?