Kate Middleton and Kim Kardashian ... separated at birth?
Ricky Gervais is a genius. Imagine comparing two of the most famous women on Earth in the same joke at the Golden Globes.
"The Golden Globes are to the Oscars what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton," he told the Hollywood crowd. "A bit louder. A bit trashier. A bit drunker and more easily bought -- allegedly."
Guffaws all around. Except maybe he's hit on something else here. Maybe these two women are more alike than what appears on the surface.
We needed to investigate.
Hence, here are 10 ways in which Kate and Kim are very much alike (beyond, of course, having one-syllable first names, which some would regard as pretty amazing in itself):
1. They both made it through the first 72 days of marriage in 2011. Only difference is that Kate has gone beyond 72 days.
2. The Middleton family got rich by starting a company called Party Pieces. The Kardashian sisters got rich by being party pieces.
4. Both are favourite cover girls for magazines. Heck, they’ve even been on the same cover (right). Granted, it’s doubtful you’ll find Kate on a Playboy cover, but you’ll usually find one or the other on People every week.
5. Both have good-looking and enterprising sisters who deal in parties (Pippa plans them, Kourtney and Khloé like to go to them).
6. Kim idolizes Elizabeth Taylor, spending $65,000 on three of her bracelets. Kate has a grandma-in-law she likes also named Elizabeth, who sometimes lends her jewelry.
7. Kim’s stepfather -- Bruce Jenner -- and Kate’s aunt-in-law -- Princess Anne -- both competed in the 1976 Olympics. (How Six-Degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon is that?) This is probably the first and last time they will be mentioned together in the same sentence.
9. Both women love shoes. Kim wanted so much to be like Kate, she designed a shoe via her company ShoeDazzle -- The Duchess (left) -- just for Kate’s 30th birthday. The real Duchess seems to prefer LK Bennett, but it’s the thought that counts, right?
10. Both attended Catholic all-girls boarding schools while growing up. It's unclear whether it did them any good, but it's interesting to note that neither decided to become a nun.
BONUS No. 11. Reaching out to the homeless.
It's one of Kim's little known acts of charity that she has on occasion dished out potatoes and gravy to the homeless. We're not saying she enjoys it ... but keeping up with kindred sister Kate is a full-time job.