They're back! Prince Harry on party trail; pregnant Kate hits the shops
Prince Harry, wearing a Santa hat outside the VHR (very high readiness) tent at Camp Bastion last month, is taking full advantage of his time off now that he's back in the UK. (Reuters)
After several months of hibernation, the streets of London are once again alive with Harry and Kate sightings.
Between Afghanistan and morning sickness, the royal watchers must have started to suffer withrawal as two of the favourites were dealing with issues a little more pressing than shopping and drinking.
So the last few days must have brought some comfort, with Prince Harry and the Duchess of Cambridge emerging onto the public streets to return some normalcy to their lives after some life-altering experiences.
Prince Harry was first of out the starting game, having returned to the UK from his four-and-a-half months battling the Taliban from his Apache helicopter in Afghanistan. With four weeks off from military duty, the 28-year-old Harry didn't waste much time before getting into the party mood, which was standard operating behaviour pre-deployment.
Ditching his fatigues for jeans and a ball cap, he joined friends on early Saturday evening at the upscale Brown Cow pub in southwest London. Later in the evening he was discovered at the Sainsbury supermarket, perhaps picking up a few supplies before he headed to a friend's house nearby.
As his protection officers kept vigil in their car, the prince kept the homecoming party going at a above average volume, according to the Daily Mail. It was not until 10:30 the next morning that Harry emerged, climbed into still-waiting Range Rover with his guards, and headed back to his Kensington Palace flat.
Just like old times.
His sister-in-law, meanwhile, must be feeling a lot better into her fourth month of pregnancy. She was spotted over the weekend haunting the racks at the Gap in Chelsea. The Telegraph reports that the duchess was looking over the maternity jeggings before checking on what the baby section had to offer.
Definitely not like old times.
HOAX HOSTS OFF THE AIR
In a move that should surprise no one, the Australian radio station 2Day FM has announced that the Hot30 Countdown show hosted by Mel Greig and Michael Christian won't be returning.
Greig and Christian (right) are the DJs that pulled the phone prank of impersonating the Queen to try to reach the Duchess of Cambridge while she was being treated for morning sickness at King Edward VII Hospital in December. Three days after the hoax, the nurse who answered their call committed suicide.
The outrage over Jacintha Saldanha's death prompted the radio station to pull the hosts off the air. Clearly devastated, Greig and Christian went of several shows expressing their regret over the turn of events. They have been on leave ever since the incident.
The station is now permanently replacing their countdown show with a new offering, and a new host.Greig and Christian, though, are not being fired.
“We look forward to Mel and MC returning to work when the time is right, in roles that make full use of their talents," said Rhys Holleran, boss of the network that controls the station. "We will discuss future roles with them when they are ready,” he said.
An inquest into Saldanha's death reopens at the end of March.