Hockey tops the ratings and it's still October
There's an old saying in the Canadian television world that goes something like this: Hockey is Canada's most popular sport. Everything else is tied for second.
While that may be a bit of an overstatement, the weekend TV ratings pretty much back that up. Not even a month into the NHL season, hockey ratings are almost doubling the next highest. Imagine what they'll be doing when the games start to actually mean something.
Saturday's NHL tripleheader on CBC averaged 2.3 million viewers, 1.1 million more than the runner-up.
The tie for second place may be down to two, though. The CFL took second place as an overtime Lions-Roughriders game topped the 1 million mark. CTV's NFL offerings on Sunday were close behind at 899,000 while the Rogers NFL Sunday combination (City and Sportsnet) pulled in 792,000.
As always, here are the top weekend audiences for sports broadcasts on English-language networks, as supplied by BBM overnight ratings:
1. NHL, Leafs at Canucks/Rangers at Habs/Bruins at Sens, Saturday, CBC: 2,306,000
2. CFL: Lions at Roughriders, Saturday, TSN: 1,202,000
3. NHL: Oilers at Flames, Saturday, CBC: 1,119,000
4. NFL: Early games, Sunday, CTV: 899,000
5. CFL: Eskimos at Stampeders, Friday, TSN: 714,000
6. CFL: Ticats at Argonauts, Friday, TSN: 706,000
7. CFL: Alouettes at Blue Bombers, Saturday, TSN: 637,000
8. NFL: Eagles at Redkins, Monday, TSN: 592,000
9. MLB: Angels at Yankees, Sunday, Sportsnet: 530,000*
10. NHL, Hockey Night In Canada pre-game, Saturday, CBC: 507,000
11. NFL: Late games, Sunday, Citytv: 492,000
12. Curling: Grand Slam quarterfinal, Saturday, CBC: 483,000
13. Curling: Grand Slam final, Sunday, CBC: 441,000
14. NFL: Cardinals at Giants, Sunday, TSN: 411,000**
15. NFL: Late games, Sunday, Sportsnet: 303,000
* Two Sportsnet channels only, Fox viewers not calculated
** NBC audience not calculated