Good weekend for CFL, F1 and TFC
While hockey and football, as usual, are at the top of the ratings heap, the past weekend was a pretty good one for Formula One racing and Toronto FC. The Brazilian Grand Prix drew 365,000 viewers to TSN on Sunday, which shows what a difference starting in the afternoon instead of dawn can do for audiences.
Playing a do-or-die game also helped Toronto FC, whose victory over Real Salt Lake attracted 229,000 to CBC on Saturday afternoon.
The new ratings system continues to look good on the CFL, which again dominated the non-hockey ratings.
Here are the top ratings on English-Canadian television for last weekend, according to BBM overnight figures.
1. NHL: Rangers at Leafs/Senators at Canadiens, Saturday, CBC: 1,718,000
2. NHL: Canucks at Wild, Saturday, CBC: 986,000
3. CFL: Roughriders at Stampeders, Saturday, TSN: 930,000
4. CFL: Lions at Blue Bombers, Sunday, TSN: 893,000
5. CFL: Eskimos at Argonauts, Friday, TSN: 693,000
6. NFL: Early games, Sunday, CTV: 680,000
7. NFL: Bears at Falcons, Sunday, TSN: 586,000*
8. CFL: Tiger- Cats at Alouettes, Sunday, TSN: 522,000
9. NFL: Late games, Sunday, City: 426,000
10. MLB: Dodgers at Phillies, Sunday, Sportsnet; 413,000
11. MLB: Angels at Yankees, Saturday, Sportsnet: 403,000**
12. MLB: Phillies at Dodgers, Friday, Sportsnet: 378,000
13. Auto racing, F1 Brazilian Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 365,000
14. MLB: Angels at Yankees, Friday, Sportsnet: 304,000***
15. Auto racing: NASCAR Sprint Cup, Saturday, TSN: 303,000
16. NFL: Late games, Sunday, Sportsnet: 243,000
17. Soccer: Salt Lake at Toronto FC, Saturday, CBC: 229.000
* Viewers on NBC not calculated
** Viewers on Fox not calculated
*** Two Sportsnet channels only