Curling sweeps weekend ratings
While it's a given which sport will draw the greatest number of Canadian eyeballs at the Vancouver Olympics -- that's hockey, if you just arrived from Zimbabwe -- there is equally no doubt about which sports is going to be a close second.
That's curling, which produced awesome ratings for last week's Olympic trials. Sunday's men's final, for example, hit 1.2 million even though the game wasn't exactly a cliff-hanger. TSN calls it a record and even though just about everything is a record under the new ratings system, the audience numbers were impressive.
When curling pre-game shows can attract more than 400,000 viewers, you know you've got something. TSN got an extra benefit from its curling coverage: SportsCentre .
Here are the top-rated weekend sports shows in English Canada, according to BBM Canada overnight ratings: SportsCentre drew 381,000 viewers on the heels of Saturday's women's final.
1. NHL, Caps-Leafs/Canes-Sens/Thrashers-Habs, Saturday, CBC: 1,758,000
2. Curling, Olympic trials men's final, Sunday, TSN: 1,213,000
3. Curling, Olympic trials men's semifinal, Saturday, TSN: 843,000
4. Curling, Olympic trials women's final, Saturday, TSN: 832,000
5. NHL, Wild at Canucks, Saturday, CBC: 818,000
6. NFL, Early games, Sunday, CTV: 802,000
7. Curling, Olympic trials women's semifinal, Friday, TSN: 729,000
8. NHL, Hockey Night In Canada pre-game show, Saturday, CBC: 641,000
9. NFL, Late games, Sunday, Citytv: 585,000
10. NFL, Eagles at Giants, Sunday, TSN: 566,000*
11. Curling, Olympic trials men's final pre-game show, Sunday, TSN: 415,000
12. Curling, Olympic trials women's final pre-game show, Saturday, TSN: 406,000
13. NFL, NFL Countdown, Sunday, TSN: 291,000
14. Skiing, Men's Super-G, Saturday, CBC: 188,000
15. NFL, Late games, Sunday, Sportsnet: 169,000
* NBC viewers not calculated
OTHER STUFF: For sale: One Tiger-cam. Overused, but still in good working condition. Warning: Focuses only on Tiger Woods. Call NBC Sports. ... Still operating, though, is CBC's Burke-cam. Does the network honestly think hockey fans are interested in watching Leafs GM Brian Burke's reaction to what's happening on the ice? ``Hey, Martha, come see this? Brian Burke's sitting down!" ... TSN's curling crew deserves credit for not trying to hype Glenn Howard's chances in Sunday's men's final. When Kevin Martin grabbed a big early lead, they all agreed that Howard was in big trouble. ... Shameless plug of the week: Don Cherry shilling for his fight-filled hockey videos during Saturday's intermission orgy of self-promotion.