World Cup audiences hotter than a vuvuzela-blower's lips
The strong ratings for the World Cup continue to roll in, dominating the Canadian sports television scene.
In fact, the only non-soccer event that came close to pushing the South African horn-fest out of the way was the U.S. Open final round. We'll never really know how big that audience was, since those who watched on NBC aren't counted, but suffice to say it was more than 1 million.
But five soccer audiences topped the million mark, an amazing feat considering that many of those games were played in the morning -- or before dawn on the West Coast.
CBC is averaging more than 1 million for its World Cup coverage, about double the early averages that TSN and Rogers Sportsnet recorded in 2006. The new ratings system is part of that, but the World Cup has followed the trend of increasing audiences every time around.
Here are the top-rated sports weekend events on English-language television, according to BBM Canada overnight calculations:
1. World Cup, Italy vs. New Zealand, Sunday, CBC: 1,631,000
2. World Cup, Brazil vs. Ivory Coast, Sunday, CBC: 1,588,000*
3. World Cup, Ghana vs. Australia, Saturday, CBC: 1,245,000
4. World Cup, Cameroon vs. Denmark, Saturday, CBC: 1,205,000
5. World Cup, England vs. Argentina, Friday, CBC: 1,034,000
6. World Cup, Slovenia vs. U.S., Friday, CBC: 922,000
7. World Cup, Netherlands vs. Japan, Saturday, CBC: 727,000
8. Golf, U.S. Open final round, Sunday, TSN: 693,000*
9. World Cup, Germany vs. Slovenia, Friday, CBC: 674,000
10. World Cup, Slovakia vs. Paraguay, Sunday, CBC: 530,000
11. Golf, U.S. Open third round, Saturday, TSN: 489,000*
12. MLB, Giants at Blue Jays, Saturday, Sportsnet: 423,000
13. MLB, Giants at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 389,000
14. MLB, Giants at Blue Jays, Friday, Sportsnet: 362,000**
15. Golf, U.S. Open second round, Friday, TSN: 275,000
* Viewers for U.S. channels not calculated
** Three Sportsnet channels only