Sportsnet One's debut shuts out Jays fans
It probably doesn't happen that often, but I understated the case in my Monday column when I knocked Rogers for shutting out tens of thousands of Blue Jays fans by putting Saturday's game on Sportsnet One.
The Jays two games on the West Coast scored more than 480,000 viewers apiece on Rogers Sportsnet. Saturday's game, available only on Sportsnet One to Rogers customers, drew substantially less than that. BBM Canada originally reported the audience at 31,000, but admitted today that there were errorrs in its calculations.
Suffice to say, though, that it didn't make enough mistakes to drive up that number to 400,000.
It should be noted that any numbers for Sportsnet One right now are not national because Rogers sphere of cable influence doesn't extend to the West and many parts east of Ontamrio.
In addition, most viewers were probably unaware that Sportsnet Junior even existed. One reader tells of calling Rogers in Toronto and finding that even some of their employees didn't know what Sportsnet One was or what channels it was on.
This will eventually change. After all, TSN2 scored some pretty dismal ratings in the early going and is doing just fine now. But in the meantime there are legions of irate Blue Jays fans wondering what they did to deserve this treatment.
Here are the weekend's most-watched sports events on English-language television, according to BBM Canada ratings:
1. CFL, Alouettes at Argos, Saturday, TSN: 829,000
2. CFL, Tiger-Cats at Blue Bombers, Friday, TSN: 817,000
3. CFL, Eskimos at Stampeders, Sunday, TSN: 768,000
4. Golf, PGA Championship final round, Sunday, TSN: 530,000*
5. MLB, Blue Jays at Angels, Sunday, Sportsnet: 484,000
6. MLB: Blue Jays at Angels, Friday, Sportsnet: 481,000
7. Golf, PGA Championship third round, Saturday, TSN: 427,000*
8. Tennis, Rogers Cup second semifinal, Saturday, CBC: 364,000
9. Golf, PGA Championship second round, Friday, TSN: 314,000
10. Tennis, Rogers Cup first final, Sunday, CBC: 299,000
11. Track and Field, Diamond League London, Saturday, CBC: 224,000
12. Tennis, Rogers Cup first semifinal, Saturday, CBC: 221,000
13. Auto racing, NASCAR Sprint Cup, Sunday, TSN2: 217,000
14. Soccer, West Brom at Chelsea, Saturday, Sportnset: 130,000
* Viewers for CBS not calculated