Hey, maybe Rogers Sportsnet is on to something here, what with its decisions to claim all the Toronto Blue Jays telecasts and then launch a new channel to carry many of them.
The Jays are out of it as far as any meaningful baseball goes. They can beat Baltimore -- hey, who can't? -- and they should hang around the .500 mark this season. But post-season play isn't even a dream.
On top of that, attendance is awful -- Montreal Expos awful at times.
But despite all that, the team is still scoring on television. The Jays managed to break the Canadian Football League's hold on the top ratings for the weekend by drawing more than 500,000 viewers for the second game of a doubleheader Sunday evening.
Sunday was a good day for auto racing, too, with TSN recording impressive ratings for its vroom-vroom tripleheader.
Here are the most-watched weekend sports events on English-Canadian television, according to BBM Canada:
1. CFL, Roughriders at Stampeders, Saturday, TSN: 917,000
2. CFL, Lions at Argonauts, Friday, TSN: 858,000
3. CFL, Eskimos at Blue Bombers, Saturday, TSN: 628,000
4. MLB, Blue Jays at Tigers (Game 2), Sunday, Sportsnet: 562,000
5. Auto racing, NASCAR Brickyard 500, Sunday, TSN: 500,000
6. MLB, Blue Jays at Tigers, Saturday, Sportsnet: 475,000
7. Auto racing, IRL Edmonton, Sunday, TSN: 399,000
8. MLB, Blue Jays at Tigers (Game 1), Sunday, Sportsnet: 382,000
9. PGA, Canadian Open final round, Sunday, CBS/Global: 363,000
10. PGA, Canadian Open third round, Saturday, CBS/Global: 295,000
11. Auto racing, F1 German Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 275,000
12. CFL, Pre-game show, Friday, TSN: 234,000
13. PGA, Canadian Open second round, TSN: 194,000
13. Athletics, Track and field, Saturday, CBC: 194,000
15. Soccer, Toronto FC at Dallas, Saturday, CBC: 153,000