Canadians invited to sell our country to overseas tourists with new CTC project
This could be fun to watch.
The Canadian Tourism Commission today announced it's trying to lure more folks to our fair shores with something called the 35 Million Directors project. They're asking Canadians by the score to upload videos and images to a new website that they hope will inspire travellers from around the world to choose Canada (see Yukon photo below) for their holidays.
"Footage and photos must showcase Canadian travel experiences - from a favourite hike to a music festival, a sporting event to dining al fresco downtown," officials said. "‘Directors’ will want to capture moments that will whet the appetite of international travellers looking for unique and authentic examples of what is available across Canada."
There is, of course, a contest for the best entries and a random draw so even the worst of us gets a shot at something. The contest runs until September 16, 2012, when the CTC will then look at the story-line Canadians have created, select the best entries, and mix in the work of a few professional directors to create a grassroots video advertisement to inspire travellers from around the world to visit Canada.
“We’re out to create a story from the point of view of Canadians and what makes them proud about our great cities, our geography and nature, our cuisine, our culture, or perhaps the friendliness of a local festival,” said Michele McKenzie, CTC president and CEO. “We hope Canadians are out there this summer enjoying what our country offers whether on a trip or during a lunch break. Many are already capturing what moves them on phones and cameras and sharing with friends and family. We want to share these images big time with the world, and add a grassroots dimension to our marketing efforts in attracting more and more international visitors to Canada.”
It would've been nice to get this started a touch earlier in the year, as a lot of folks have already taken their Canadian summer vacations. Then again, maybe with 35 million invitees it's better to trim the field a bit!
PASSENGERS ASKED TO PAY FOR FUEL - WHAT'S NEXT?
When I first saw this headline, I thought it was one of those crazy, small airlines again. But, no, it appears that this time it was Air France asking passengers to chip in for gas.
Travelmole.com reports that Air France admits it had to ask passengers for fuel on a flight bound from Paris to Beirut that had to be diverted to Damascus, Syria. In the end, it turned out they didn't need the cash after all.
Air France released a statement to CNN saying that payments for fuel in Damascus can only be made in cash, which I guess I can see given what's happening in Syria these days. As it turned out, Air France apparently found some pop bottles or some cash hidden under some seats and was able to get the fuel they needed without hitting up the passengers.
Just remember that next time you want to complain about pricey Subway sandwiches on a flight to Calgary.
QANTAS BOSS TAKES A BIG HIT
You don't see THIS everyday. Travelmole.com reports that Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce has agreed to wave goodbye to his bonus and pay rise this year after the airline suffered a sharp drop in profits.
He told the Australian Financial Review: "It's absolutely appropriate that when company returns go down, executive pay should go down as well.
"It has been an extremely tough year for Qantas shareholders and what we want to show is that my pay has to have a huge correlation with the profitability of the company."
The Australian airline has forecast a 90% fall in its profits for the financial year ending 30 June, blaming international operations, high fuel costs and the impact of strikes and labour disputes.
It is due to announce its full-year financial results on Wednesday of this week, Aug. 23.
Sounds tough, but I applaud Joyce's move.