Hey, Ottawa - it's time to help this country's tourism trade ... Deal of the Day
"There is an unparalleled opportunity to drive export activity and create jobs by increasing international travel to Canada, but this won't occur without public policy fixes," said David Goldstein, President and CEO of the Tourism Industry Association of Canada. "Attracting lucrative international visitors requires competitive investment in international marketing and aviation policy freed from excessive taxes, fees and levies."
"With unprecedented growth in international tourism demand, Canada's travel industry could make a more meaningful contribution to the Canadian economy if not for structural challenges particularly in the areas of tourism marketing and access to Canada," TIAC said in a press release. "The Canadian Tourism Commission's budget is being cut by nearly 20% at a time when all of Canada's major competitors are bolstering their investments in tourism marketing.
Canada's economic growth is also being unnecessarily hindered by an inhibitive taxation structure. This "triple dip" includes more than $850M in aviation taxes, fees and levies, $90M in GST on those aviation taxes, and $460M in GST on foreign visitor spending. Canada is the only G8 country with a value-added tax that does not offer a whole or partial rebate for individual foreign visitors."
AIR CANADA PRICE GUARANTEE
Nice to see that Air Canada has extended its price guarantee for its web site. The airline says that within 24 hours of purchasing a ticket at aircanada.com, a customer who finds a cheaper price for the same flight, itinerary and fare brand on another Canadian online travel retailer can notify them and Air Canada will provide a travel credit for $50 plus the price difference, which can be applied towards future travel.
The program covers all travel within Air Canada's network on flights marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge and Air Canada Express flights. It is available for all published retail fares sold in Canada by any Canadian online retail distribution channel that is an accredited vendor of Air Canada.
They've had this policy in the past but not for all flights, so this is good. Of course, it's also in their best interests to have people buy on their site and not on Expedia, or what have you.
On Tuesday, the one-millionth guest visited the Hôtel de Glace or Ice Hotel in Quebec City. Marlène Noël and husband Michel Aubert, from the Quebec area, were the lucky guests and received a gift package, including a one-night stay at the Hôtel de Glace in 2014 ...
JAUNT.CA DEAL OF THE DAY
Jaunt.ca, a division of Torstar, has a deal on tap for a river cruise to the capital cities of central Europe. The deal is priced at $4,822 and includes visits to Budapest, Vienna, Prague, Bratislava and much more.
- EXCLUSIVE SAVINGS: Save $800 per couple - Pricing includes early booking bonus of $600 per couple, and an additional savings of $200 per couple exclusively available for Jaunt customers!
- 12-day River Cruise Tour aboard the Avalon Vista accompanied by Vanessa Lee, Godmother of the Avalon Vista. Starts in Budapest and ends in Prague.
- Includes return air from Toronto on British Airways, and all transfers
- Includes the following ports of call with daily sightseeing and shore excursions: Budapest, Hungary; Bratislava, Slovakia; Vienna, Austria; Krems, Austria; Melk, Austria; Grein, Austria; Passau, Germany; and Prague, Czech Republic
- 2-night pre-cruise stay in Budapest and 2-night post-cruise stay in Prague staying in 5-Star Hotel Accommodations
- Cruise accommodations in one of the following cabin categories: Deluxe Stateroom Cat. E or Cat. D; Panorama Suite Cat. B, Cat. A or Cat. P; and Royal Suite Cat. S
- Includes daily breakfast in Budapest and Prague city stays, all meals on the ship, soft drinks with lunch, and wine, beer, or soft drinks with dinner
- The Avalon Vista is part of a new line of Suite Ships
- Vanessa Lee is a cruise expert who has helped craft the ultimate Central Europe river adventure
- You'll tour important sites in Hungary, Austria, Germany and Slovakia
- Valid for travel on September 26, 2013 sailing
- Pricing (per person, plus taxes):
Deluxe Stateroom, 2 Windows (Category E)
$4099 + $723 tax
Deluxe Stateroom, 2 Windows (Category D)
$4274 + $723 tax
Panorama Suite, Floor to Ceiling Open-Air Window/Balcony (Category B)
$4943 + $723 tax
Panorama Suite, Floor to Ceiling Open-Air Window/Balcony (Category A)
$4995 + $723 tax
Panorama Suite, Floor to Ceiling Open-Air Window/Balcony (Category P)
$5149 + $723 tax
Royal Suite, Floor to Ceiling Open-Air Window/Balcony (Category S)
$5870 + $723 tax
(Breakdown of Taxes: $723 above includes $133 port tax and $590 air tax)
- This offer is 100% non-refundable at time of booking