Alberta open for business, so go already and spend some cash! ... Deal of the day
The damage has been incredible. But a couple of the most popular tourist spots in Alberta are open for business and looking for customers.
The folks in Banff and Lake Louise sent out an advisory to say they haven't been impacted too badly from the Alberta floods. Both areas "were fortunate to have escaped many of the direct impacts of last week's storm," officials said. "Spirits are up and Banff is open for business."
The water supply is fine and most highways in the area have been cleared for travel. Shuttles are running between Calgary International Airport and Banff National Park, and most major attractions and classic national park visitor experiences are open.
The Calgary Stampede grounds were hit hard by flooding, but officials there say the show will go on.
The Stampede is celebrating its 101st anniversary this year and they're not about to let the flooding stop the party.
"We will be hosting the greatest outdoor show on earth come hell or high water," said Stampede president Bob Thompson.
The Stampede, which starts July 5, will act as a "beacon of light" for affected Calgarians, officials said in a story in today's Globe and Mail.
Much of downtown Calgary is still without power but the Stampede is counting on a huge contingent of workers and volunteers to clean things up over the next two weeks.
If you're thinking of a holiday in Canada in the next few weeks and aren't sure where to go, I'd think a visit to the Stampede or a trip to Banff/Lake Louise would be a fine gesture. You'd be doing folks in Alberta a world of good.
EATON CHELSEA HOTEL DEAL IN TORONTO (AND AEROPLAN, TOO)
Langham Hospitality Group says the new Eaton Chelsea, Toronto will be launching on Canada Day with rooms starting at just $139 a night.
At the same time, the folks at Aeroplan have just announced a deal with Langham, allowing folks to earn Aeroplan points when they stay at 19 participating Langham Hospitality Group properties around the world.
In Toronto, guests at the Eaton Chelsea (formerly the Delta Chelsea and undergoing a major renovation, by the way) will receive double miles from Aeroplan in this offer; earning 500 miles per night and up to 1,500 miles per stay.
In addition to this new alliance with Aeroplan, Langham Hospitality Group will introduce its celebrated guest loyalty programme, 1865 (named in honour of the year the group’s flagship hotel, The Langham London, first opened) to Eaton Chelsea, Toronto.
LAX ON THE RISE?
Comedians in the U.S. have made small fortunes poking fun at Los Angeles International Airport, a massive pile that can be a little on the daunting - and dowdy - side. But things have been looking up of late, and a newly renovated terminal that opens in August promises to bolster things even further.
The massive Tom Bradley International Terminal willl have luxurious duty-free shops such as Hermes and Gucci. Even better is a Parisian bar that will have champagne and caviar that can be taken onto the plane, according to Associated Press.
The terminal is part of a $4.1 billion upgrade at the third busiest airport in the U.S.
JAUNT.CA DEAL OF THE DAY
Jaunt.ca, a division of Torstar, has a deal on hand for lovely Punta Cana in the D.R., priced at $941, including $392 in taxes.
- EXCLUSIVE TO JAUNT: Two travellers save up to $100 by booking with Jaunt.ca!
- BONUS: Includes upgrade to Transat Holiday's Preference Club featuring 5 guaranteed reservations/week for à la carte dinners, private beach area with waiter service, bottle of rum and more!
- All-inclusive 7-night stay at the 4-Star Occidental Grand Punta Cana, located in the Dominican Republic
- Preference Club inclusions mean you are closer to the beach and outfitted in true luxury
- The resort is located on beautiful Bavaro Beach
- Valid for travel on August 23 & 30, 2013
- Includes return air from Toronto to Punta Cana, with hotel/airport transfers
- Accommodations in a Preference Club Deluxe Room, featuring 1 king-size or 2 3/4 beds and a balcony. Maximum occupancy: 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children
- Daily breakfast, lunch and dinner, and unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Pricing (Rates are per person, plus tax):
Child (2-12yrs): $369
Other DATES and GATEWAYS available.
Call us at 1-855-687-5925.
- Valid passport required for travel from Canada
- This offer is 100% non-refundable at time of booking