Most sinful cities in the U.S.: St. Louis and Orlando? / Deal of the day
So, it turns out we're a lot closer to Sin City than we thought. And it turns out that Orlando isn't necessarily such a family friendy destination after all.
A new study/analysis from the folks at the Movoto.com real estate blog came up with some surprising stats for sin cities. They looked at pride, lust, greed, wrath, envy, gluttony and sloth as the main characteristics of a sinful spot and then analyzed American cities on everything from the number of strip clubs per capita (lust) to violent crime per year (wrath) to percentage of obese residents (gluttony). They then ranked cities by the highest score (most sinful) and lowest (most saintly).
Yeah, it's incredibly inexact. But it's a ton of fun.
Here's what they came up with on the sinful list: 1. St. Louis, 2. Orlando, 3. Minneapolis (what would Mary Tyler Moore say?), Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Miami, Buffalo, Detroit and Las Vegas. Which means that perhaps we're wasting a lot of money here in Toronto by flying to Vegas instead of heading south to Buffalo or west to Detroit.
Las Vegas has a ton of strip clubs, particularly in North Las Vegas, where there's one for every 2,808 residents. Detroit rose up the sinful ladder based partly on crime stats and on the weight scale, as some 34 per cent of residents are said to be obese.
Orlando's sinful quotient was boosted by the fact that 28.8 per cent of residents are labelled "inactive."
Also interesting was the "most saintly" category. And you might be surprised to find the top spot went to New York City. Yep, the Big Apple was number one. How, you say? Well, for one, there are only 15.2 per cent of folks reported as being obese. They have crime but not much on a per capita basis. And New York was rated as having the third most active residents.
Here's the full "saintly" list: 1. New York City, 2. Gilbert, Arizona 3. Fremont, California, 4. Glendale, California, 5. Chula Vista, California, 6. Chandler, Arizona, 7. Colorado Springs, Colorado, 8. Long Beach, California, 9. San Jose, California, 10. Irvine, California.
That's two top ten finishes for Arizona and a whopping seven for California. And nothing for the Midwest or southern states.
Interesting, but I don't see folks suddenly flocking to Fremont, a suburb of San Francisco. Nor do I see a lot of stag parties shifting from Vegas to St. Louis....
JAUNT.CA DEAL OF THE DAY: A NORWEGIAN CRUISE
Jaunt.ca, a division of Torstar, has a deal on tap for a great cruise of Norway, priced at $2,747, including all taxes.
- EXCLUSIVE TO JAUNT: Savings of $3,078 per couple!
- 12-Day/11-Night Classic Norway Voyage Cruise on board the MS Trollfjord.
- Sail through the Arctic Circle, the Lofoten Islands, The Vega Archipelago, Norway's UNESCO-listed sites of Bergen's Bryggen District, the Meridian Column (Hammerfest) the Vega Islands and more!
- This unique cruising experience takes you to the Arctic Circle and the northernmost point of mainland Europe
- Enjoy incredible views in port and during your cruising from the ships panorama lounge!
- Valid for travel on August 1 & 12 and September 3, 2013
- Cruise departs from and returns to Bergen, Norway. Sail through: Ålesund and Geirangerfjord; The Royal City of Trondheim; the Arctic Circle and Lofoten Islands; Tromsø, Gateway to the Arctic; Honningsvåg and the North Cape; Kirkenes; Hammerfest and Tromsø; Vesterålen and Lofoten Islands; Trondheim and Kristiansundm
- Accommodations in an Inside Cabin
- Pricing (Rates are per person):
Double: $2,747 tax included
Single: $4,807 tax included
Triple: $2,335 tax included
We also offer Other Dates and Flights. Call us at 1-855-687-5925.
- To book dining times please fill out the 'Requests' form specifying preference for first or second seating at time of booking
- Valid passport required for travel from Canada
- This offer is 100% non-refundable at time of booking