I hadn't seen this but it's pretty important for Canada's China connections.
Expanded service has already started as part of government types are suggesting is an "integral part" of our country's Asia-Pacific strategy.
There will now be 75 flights a week between Chinese cities and YVR/Vancouver Airport, more than any airport in North America. I would've perhaps thought San Francisco has that honour but, then again, it's likely that China-California flights are split between SFO and Los Angeles.
Officials said flights will connect 204,000 travelers this year alone and will generate the equivalent of 470 full-time jobs with the airline and at YVR.
"China Eastern's expansion of air services is another sign of increasing travel and trade between B.C. and China," said British Columbia premier Christy Clark. "Expanding air services are another way we can leverage B.C.'s competitive advantages to increase trade, create jobs and support communities."
Chinese arrivals into Vancouver increased by 18 per cent last year, according to Piquenewsmagazine.com.
QUEEN ELIZABETH TWO TO BE A FLOATING HOTEL IN ASIA?
I've heard of a tempoary, pop-up store. Now maybe we're getting a float-up hotel.
The New York Times reports that the QE2, bought for $100 million in 2007 by a state-owned investment company in Dubai, was moved to the Persian Gulf with the idea of transforming it into a floating Jumeirah hotel. The world financial crisis put a stop to that plan and there were reports a few months ago that the famous cruise liner was headed to the junk heap.
But the Times says a company called QE2 Holdings - a new joint venture between Dubai World and Singapore-based cruise company Oceanic Group - has announced plans to go ahead with the floating hotel project but to move the QE2 from the Dubai cargo port where it has been laid up to a city in East Asia, most likely Hong Kong or Singapore.
The company said it would invest $100 million in remaking the QE2 into a 400-room luxury hotel, with seven restaurants, 10 lounges, a cinema and shopping mall. After leaving Dubai in October and being overhauled at a shipyard in China, the floating hotel is scheduled to open as early as winter 2014. Nightly room rates will start around $400.
In a telephone interview from Singapore, Daniel Chui, the chief executive of QE2 Holdings, said that his company was exploring either mooring the ship permanently in an Asian port city or changing locations every few years, which means the QE2 would remain seaworthy and might even take on occasional cruise passengers.
“We might spend three years in Singapore, then three years in Taiwan or Hong Kong,” he said.
Maybe we can get it to Toronto along with a floating casino....JAUNT.CA DEAL OF THE DAY
Jaunt.ca, a division of Torstar, has a deal today for a nice seven-day stay in a beautiful property in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for $891, including $392 in taxes.
- EXCLUSIVE SAVINGS: Two travellers save up to $120 by booking with Jaunt.ca!
- BONUS: Transat Holidays’ Distinction Collection is designed for an enhanced travel experience featuring 3 guaranteed reservations for à la carte restaurants, exclusive room location, concierge service and more!
- All-inclusive 7-night stay at the 4.5-Star Grand Palladium Bavaro, located in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Stay at 1, Play at 3 gives you access to the Grand Palladium Bavaro's sister resorts which means more activities, more pools and more dining options
- Bavaro beach is considered one of the most stunning beaches in Punta Cana
- Kids clubs are available for all ages and have loads of activities to keep the little ones entertained
- Valid for travel on August 30; September 6, 13 & 20, 2013
- Includes return airfare from Toronto to Punta Cana, and round-trip airport/hotel transfers in the Dominican Republic
- Daily breakfast, lunch and dinner, and unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Accommodations in a Deluxe Room Imperial Club (Maximum occupancy 2 adults) or a Junior Suite Imperial Club room, featuring 1 king or 2 double beds (Maximum occupancy: 3 Adults or 2 Adults and 2 Children)
- Pricing (Rates are per person, plus tax):
Deluxe Room Imperial Club (To book this category click BOOK NOW):
Double $499 + tax
Single $749 + tax
Junior Suite Imperial Club (To book this category CLICK HERE):
Double $599 + tax
Single $849 + tax
Triple $549 + tax
Children (2-12) $199 + tax
We also offer Other DATES and GATEWAYS.
Call us at 1-855-687-5925.
- Valid passport required for travel from Canada
- This offer is 100% non-refundable at time of booking