Here's a very cool idea for folks heading to fabulous St. John's, Newfoundland.
Parks Canada has helped develop a plan where you can have dinner at the historic Cape Spear Lighthouse (see photo below) every Sunday from June 23 to Sept. 15. Dinners are held at 6:30 and cost $70; a pretty good deal when you consider they've lined up some of the best restaurants in the province, including a personal fave, Bacalao.
If that's a tad rich for your blood, you also can stay right in town and do a rum tasting and mess dinner every Thursday at Signal Hill, which overlooks the city's magnificent harbour and the coast. That even runs from July 5 to Aug. 7 and takes place at 1 p.m. at a cost of $45.
For reservations at either site call 709-765-8483. And have a great time. Cape Spear is a beautiful spot and Signal Hill is an equally inspiring part of the great province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Major changes have been announced for Aeroplan, probably the leading travel rewards program in Canada.
Officials today announced the launch of an Aeroplan program called Distinction, billed as "a new tiered recognition program that rewards top accumulating members, based on total Aeroplan Miles earned across all coalition partners, with preferential mileage levels for redemption, bonus mile offers and exclusive privileges."
They also announced something called "Market Fare Flight Rewards" to replace the ClassicPlus Flight Rewards. Officials say this means significantly improved value, with all members having access to mileage levels reduced by up to 20%, and Distinction members enjoying reductions of up to 50%.
In addition, it was announced that Aeroplan has cancelled the seven-year mileage redemption policy, meaning Aeroplan miles will no longer expire if members stay active in the program each year.
“The enhancements we’re announcing today are the most significant changes we’ve made in the Aeroplan program’s history,” said Vince Timpano, President and Chief Executive Officer, Canada, Aimia. "We’re redesigning core parts of the program, delivering what is most important to our members, while reinforcing Aeroplan’s position as the leading premium coalition loyalty program in Canada for years to come.
The Distinction program benefits begin Jan. 1, 2014 and include:
- Exclusive flight reward benefits with significantly better value on new Market Fare Flight Rewards;
- Special flights to popular destinations during peak periods with 100% of the seats reserved for Distinction members and offered at ClassicFlight reward mileage levels;
- Bonus mile offers on eligible Air Canada flights, with select hotel partners, and through Aeroplan’s eStore;
- Preferential treatment, privileges and limited-time offers, special partner and reward offers and invitations to exclusive events.
"Distinction is a unique member recognition program independent from Air Canada’s Altitude program," officials said. "Distinction levels are achieved based on miles earned across all coalition partners including airline, travel, retail and financial card partners."
There will be three distinct levels of distinction: dSilver for folks who accumulate 25,000 miles during the calendar year, dBlack for those earning 50,000 miles and bDiamond for folks who earn 100,000 miles during the calendar year.
There's also a strong possibility that Aeroplan will shift from CIBC to TD bank next year. Officials said TD will take as over as their financial credit cardpartner unless CIBC exercises its contractual right to match the terms of the agreement, which expire on or before Aug. 9.
For more information visit www.aeroplan.com/changes.
Jaunt.ca, a division of Torstar, has a deal on tap for some festive gatherings at great Irish pubs, priced at $2,153, including $505 in taxes. If you've never been to a real Irish pub, you're in for a treat, so check this deal.
- 8-Day Irish Twist Pub & Heritage Tour, featuring visits to Man ‘O War Irish pub, dating back to
1595, the Tullamore Dew Heritage Centre, the shores of Galway Bay, Bunratty Folk Park and more!
- Includes return airfare from Toronto to Dublin on Air Transat
- Includes all transfers in Ireland via first class motorcoach, services of a professional tour guide, Medieval Banquet & entertainment in Bunratty Castle, Hop on / Hop off Dublin Tour and more!
- Includes full Irish breakfast daily and 4 dinners including Dinner/entertainment in Monroe’s Tavern and Kate Kearney’s Cottage and Medieval Banquet & entertainment in Bunratty Castle
Why We Love It:
- You'll be in Ireland during the last months of The Gathering 2013 festival
- Enjoy a hop on-hop off bus tour through Dublin's top sites
- Get a true taste of the pub culture with dinner shows that included traditional music and dance
- Valid for travel on October 14, 2013
- 7 nights' hotel accommodation in First Class 4-Star Hotels (based on double occupancy).
- Hotels include the following (or simmilar): Camden Court Hotel, Dublin (2 nights); Forster Court Hotel, Galway (2 nights); Dromhall Hotel, Killarney (2 nights) and Bunratty Castle Hotel, Bunratty (1 night)
- Pricing (Rates are per person, plus tax, based on double occupancy):
- Valid passport required for travel from Canada
- This offer 100% non-refundable at time of booking