Italy: 'A bunch of cry babies'
I thought mothers were more forgiving, but I was proven wrong. After Italy’s 1-1 draw against New Zealand on Sunday ( Father’s Day) I asked 10 soccer-loving dads what they thought of the game and if they had any advice for the struggling Azzurri. Here’s what they had to say:
1. “They played a good game. They just lagged defensively. I think they should continue with what they are doing.” Nick T, Brampton.
2. “Their first game was much better. I think this is the end of Italy. They are not going to go any further. ” Joe C, Mississauga.
3. “For their next game, they need to be ready to play the full 90 minutes of the game ... not just coming up strong in the first or second half. They need consistency.” Frank C, Brampton.
4. “They encountered another bump in the road; unfortunately. As frustrating as it is for us to watch them play like this, it’s not surprising. They’ll come back on Thursday.” Marcello D, Toronto.
5. “They play like our Maple Leafs. When the going gets tough, that’s when they step up their game. They’ll bounce back.” Dino S, Woodbridge.
6. “Italy suffered a big disappointment, but New Zealand was as strong as everyone claims. They had their weaknesses. Unfortunately Italy failed to take advantage.” Peter Z, Toronto.
7. “I’m genuinely disappointment with their performance. They tied one of the worst teams in the tournament. They are not here to win. Ciao, ciao, Azzurri.” Pino L, Woodbridge.
8. “Get it together, boys. Just keep shooting the ball at the net. Just make sure it’s the opposite team’s net.” Sam T, Toronto.
9. “Teamwork, boys! And bring Andrea Pirlo back! Seriously, they need to play more like a team. Everyone was worried about Buffon not playing. No issues with our goalkeeping. Our offensive needs a shake up ... a wake-up call. ” Mark M, Mississauga.
And finally, words from my own father, Tony C in Mississauga.
10. “Price Chopper has a special on paper towel.”
Andrea: “Sorry, dad, I don’t get it. Can you explain?”
“They’re a bunch of cry babies. This
tournament is a free vacation for some of these players. Just play the game.”