Earlier this week I shared my winter maintenance plans for my home, but today I'm turning my attention to the more fun part of the changing seasons: swapping out my decor!
Because I'm perpetually cold, I do keep a few blankets within easy reach all year long, but I'm thinking that's it's time to spread them out a little bit more liberally throughout the house. There's nothing more blissful than curling up with a cup of hot chocolate, a blanket and a shelter magazine once the weather turns chilly!
And, while I'm seriously tempted to pull out all the Christmas ornaments, I'm going to try a slower transition into the holiday, persuaded in part by our poll results that show people switch to winter decor right up into December!
So, this weekend, I'm swapping out my fall centrepiece of mini fairytale pumpkins (they're white!) and candles with something a little bit more wintry, but I still haven't decided quite what that will be.
So, as I often do when I'm stumped, I turned to Twitter! Here are a few ideas as suggested by my Tweeps:
- My first inclination was nuts still in the shell; which are both pretty and a fun snack. If you go this route, make sure to stock up - there's nothing sadder than a handful of nuts rattling around forgotten in a dish.
- I also thought cranberries, which are still a little bit of a fall tradition, but a lovely shade of festive red.
- Twitter friend @Sarah_kiriliuk seconded my cranberry inclination, suggesting I pair it with dark green, stiff foliage and crimson roses. So pretty!
- Meanwhile @Larked and @MargotAustin (Style at Home senior design editor) both suggested pine cones. Larked went the glittery route, suggesting sparkle encrusted versions in gold, green, silver and red while @MargotAustin said to go with whatever suited my style!
- Other suggestions (thanks @melaniedaigle and @GeorgeLatto!) included combining mixed nuts and cranberries (like trail mix!) or trying rice or coarse salt for other pretty, and wintry, fillers.
Trolling the blogs, I've also seen some pretty vases filled with cinnamon sticks (bet it smells great too!), miniature ornaments - which I've got my eye on for a little closer to the big day - and seasonal favourite evergreen boughs.
I'll be shopping this weekend and will be sure to share when my table is picture-ready! What are your choices for a seasonal centrepiece?