That last minute holiday dash
Every year I say I'm going to be totally organized and panic-free by the time the holidays roll around. In my perfect plan, the house will be clean and decorated, the presents wrapped, the sweets baked and any bags for travelling sitting packed and ready by the door with days to spare.
And this year, I thought, would be the year that I would achieve this holiday fantasy. I figured my parent's visit in early December would push me to get all of my to-dos out of the way.
How did I do? Well, here's what last night looked like at my house:
- Dip the two trays of unfinished peanut butter balls (also known as chestnuts), as shown, in chocolate, let them set, then pack them up for presents and travel.
- Leave keys, and instructions, with our bunny-and-house sitter, and bake and box up some treats for him as a thank you for making sure Allistair (our pet bunny) doesn't starve while we're away.
- Do a load of laundry and cram clean clothes into bags, along with presents, toiletries, etc.
- Tidy the house, wash dishes, and make sure that nothing in the fridge will be crawling away by the time we get home.
- Decide on, buy and wrap one last gift.
- Mail two last-minute holiday cards, after confirming addresses.
- Take out the garbage.
So, we're calling it a partial win. The present, baking, cards and packing could have done a little sooner to make our lives easier, but in comparison to previous years, we're pretty on the ball.
Plus, I'm taking solace in the fact that many other Yourhomers also leave their holiday to-dos to the last minute, with 31 per cent saying in our latest poll that they will be decorating right up until guests arrive!
Next year, hopefully, I'll be able to join the 38 per cent who are on top of their festive prep! The remaining 31 per cent said they don't decorate.
And, if you're still plugging away on your holiday planning, be sure to check out our Festive Guide for loads of great last minute advice - and pretty distractions!