For Rent's Jodi Gilmour shares tips for choosing a rental
HGTV's For Rent is back for its third season (Mondays at 8 p.m.) and host Jodi Gilmour has some tips for when you're searching for new rental digs:
- Don’t limit your rental search to the internet. Visit your preferred area and look for “For Rent” sign in windows. Sometimes low-tech landlords are a diamond in the rough!
- Don’t judge a book by its cover; sometimes the photos posted online don’t do a good rental justice. That makes it worth a look!
- If you have a very specific need in a rental, like a bath tub (or) full-sized stove, it’s worth calling ahead and asking the landlord before you book an appointment.
- Think ahead: if you’re renting in the winter, don’t forget to ask about air conditioning for those steamy summer months! Ask who maintains the lawns, gardens, etc.
- Choose a neighbourhood if it puts a skip in your step, and small sacrifices won’t seem so bad. This can be far more important than having somewhere to store your juicer.
- Pick a rental where you like to hang out. Your friend will be more likely to come and visit! Just make sure the commute to work isn’t too killer.
- Basement apartments are always less money. If you’re considering a basement apartment, also consider how you’d get out if your main door was not an option….